Family Forgiveness Gathering
Creating a time and place for family discussions is important. We recommend that you gather the family together at least once a week to have a quiet discussion about forgiveness. Keep in mind that to forgive is not the same as excusing or forgetting or even reconciling. Keep in mind that forgiveness works hand-in-hand with justice.
Your children do not toss justice out the window when they forgive. In fact, they may seek a better justice when they are not fuming with anger. Click here for questions and guidelines for a family forgiveness gathering. Consider purchasing the “Strengthening Families Manual” discussed below for more formal guidance in discussing forgiveness with your children.
Family Guide to Forgiveness Education (an IFI resource guide for families)
We have created an easy-to-use parents’ guide to help you teach your primary-age (ages 6-9) child(ren) about forgiveness. Through story, discussion, and activities, your child(ren) will learn:
- What forgiveness is and is not
- The meanings of inherent worth, moral love, and goodness and the ways to practice them apart from forgiveness
- The importance of finding balance as we acknowledge the worth of both the self and others and offer moral love and goodness to both the self and others
- The ways to practice seeing others’ inherent worth and offering moral love and goodness as part of the forgiveness process
- How to forgive a person who was unfair
- The importance of seeking and receiving forgiveness
Strengthening Families Manual (an IFI resource guide for families)
We have created a parent guide with stories that older children can read and then discuss with others in the family. There are eight lessons in this guide, with no other books to buy. This manual is appropriate for children in grades 5 (ages 10-11) through eight (ages 13-14). Our research study with students in middle school demonstrated that those students benefited in a number of important ways. Click here to read the full study. To order the Strengthening Families Manual click here.
Blogs and News
We work to constantly update our materials. Please see the "Blogs and News" section of this website for the latest updates. If you have an idea or a request for a forgiveness-related item you can’t find on our website, contact us.